Sunday, September 27, 2009

Orange Hue Happy?

People either love orange - or they severely dislike it – or, at least they think they do.  Sometimes, if you just say the name, you can see a scrunched up nose, in response.  Before you pass over this post, let’s open your mind to the possibilities!

I do have to say, orange, in my opinion, has received a bad reputation.  So many people associate it with its use in: industrial safety, a color used in a prominent home improvement store, the color code for the 2nd highest level of alert for terrorism by Homeland Security, or a not so healthy alert for the ozone levels.  Even in some studies on packaging and labeling, orange has been considered a color to be used by discount variety stores and it changes the perception of the consumer as to the level of product quality. 

ban_roomset_550

There is just the right balance of white to offset the jolt of a citrus splash, in this room.  Can you say “Dreamsicle”?

bandonese  Photo and wallpaper, courtesy of Thibaut – Pattern:  Bandanase

As a designer, I have never really had a true dislike for any color – maybe just the tones and tints or combinations.  I think if I remember orange, in a less favorable way, it’s because I’ve associated it with the era of burnt orange, olive green and harvest gold and the advent of some pretty scratchy synthetic fibers, which went along with the whole theme.  (Grandmother B. thought this would be a bullet-proof solution to her family room sofa.  I get hives recollecting the texture!)  I have developed a love of the introduction of a newer, cleaner and clearer palette of orange.  I’ll bet, after seeing some beautiful examples, if you are an orange naysayer, we will see that scrunched nose transform to a rounded, mouthed “ooooh”!

color_purple_236The right combination, of a color compliment, can take this hue to a whole new level!

thibautCourtesy of Thibaut – Papaya Pattern – Sure to stimulate the appetite.

Colefax & Fowler Courtesy of Colefax & Fowler – There would be no gray days in this room!

img_dogdays_ss4 Just look at what this touch of coppertone paint adds to the ceiling.  When considering painting the “fifth” wall, keep eco-friendly paints in mind, like Benjamin Moore’s Aura. Not only will you have a a happy palette, your house will be happy, too!

dahlia_orangeHaving a low energy day?  A bunch of orange Dahlias might help.  Orange increases oxygen to the brain and stimulates mental activity. 

pKSLCI1-5726014_kspr01_dt Even gold is considered a member of the orange family.  Gold often symbolizes high quality.  That must be why I “heart” this Kate Spade bag, so much!

Okay, let’s say you are “warming” up to the palette but can’t get past the name, o-r-a-n-g-e.  Peche, coral, tangerine – you call it as you see it and just maybe it will be your new BFF!

Cheers to you!  - Wanda

12 comments:

Norbridge Antiques said...

How refreshing! You are give your readers the message of keeping an open mind about colours. I love the room with the orange ceiling.

victoria kloch said...

Love orange! Orange increases oxygen to the brain and stimulates mental activity, ha, I didn't know that. Time for me to surround myself in ORANGE.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I would have been one of those who made a face of distaste at orange a few years ago, but I like the oranges of today. I have a coppery color in my dining room that I love. I also like to use orange in place of red sometimes for accessories {pillows, throws}.

DesignTies said...

I'm a lover of orange, Wanda... so much so I painted my dining room in a wonderful Benjamin Moore orange called Bronze Tone. It makes me feel good every time I look at it!!
Victoria @ DesignTies

Tamara Matthews-Stephenson said...

currently in the process of painting my daughter's bedroom an Hermes, orange lacquer in her teenage bedroom....this gives me wonderful inspirations and the courage to do this, although I must admit have always been shy with orange and used it more as an accent color versus the primary punch in a room....she wants cream and brown accents and her horse photos so should work. Your photos are elegant and tasteful...thank you so much.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

In my 20/30's I detested orange;in my 40's+ I have embraced it. I adore the rooms you posted. I have used it in guest bedrooms, with browns or whites to balance, & it never lets me down. Hard to be grumpy around orange. Great post!

silk purse said...

I happen to love orange, and yes in a refreshed and modern colour pallete and suite of fresh and new colour combinatons ~ all the more so!..,I am absolutely delighted to have found your wonderful and refreshingly informative blog/ My name is also Wanda; Wanda-Lee, though my blog, "nom de plume" is Silken Purse.., Cheers from one Wanda to another!

Interior Concepts by Wanda said...

I have so enjoyed reading your feedback on this post. Who knew so many folks have an affinity for orange? So happy to share a little bright spot in the day!

DesignTies said...

I have this odd love/hate relationship with orange. I think I don't like it, but then I'm drawn to orange things. Like last week when I bought tulip bulbs -- I passed over my beloved purple for orange!! And the colour scheme on our back patio is orange and lime green, even though I don't generally like orange & green together.

I guess I'm just weird that way :-) I don't like bananas, but I love banana bread, banana pancakes, banana chips... and I don't like beets but I love borscht :-)

I really like all the rooms you posted, especially the first one. And the orange & purple swirled together looks cool :-)

Kelly

Nelson Rogers Design said...

Wow - I think you have sneeking into my brain - I have this on my topic list for a blog as well. I love orange and seem to pull fabrics with that color often - sometimes to my client's displeasure. I see it as friendly, welcoming and accessible. Great post.

Nelson Rogers Design said...

Very interesting - this is on my short list for a blog topic as well. As a Designer I love the color orange - sometimes I can get a client to love it too and sometimes not. In the Southwest we have a lot of the burnt orange color in our schemes so it's a little easier. Love looking at the more traditionals rooms you have though!!

swaygrl said...

i love it! Love orange too! :D