Saturday, October 15, 2011

1981 Rocked My World

In 1981, I attended my very first High Point Furniture Market with my interior design class from East Carolina University.  I almost remember it like it was yesterday . . . notice I said “almost”.  Sigh!  Has it really been 30 years?  I would love to say I began college when I was 12, just to shave off a few years, but I wouldn’t give up the knowledge gained for all of the world.  It was a giddy, grown-up experience to be touring the market!  I’m sure the vendors received us with the most open arms they could extend, given it was the last day and they were more than exhausted.  I wonder how many of them looked at us as future buyers . . . designers or movers and shakers in the world of interiors?

192328965_wRUh9kRh_c

(Can you guess what was the hot color story when I was in design school?  Oh how I wish my desk area had remotely resembled this space from Martha Stewart!)

At that time, the market was no where the size that it currently covers.  We spent most of our time in the “big building” – aka – IHFC.  (At 3,500,000 square feet, it’s now 14 times more than it’s original size when it was built in 1921 as the Southern Furniture Exposition Building.  That’s a lot of walking!)  I remember being in awe of the fantastic showroom design and the massive amount of time and energy it must have taken to pull the show together.  I was also enthralled how this tiny NC town attracted buyers from across the globe.  It’s now the largest home furnishings trade show in the world, with over 11 million square feet of showroom space!

Thirty years later, I still have that giddy feeling when I crack open my market book . . .  well, I actually now go online to do the preview.  (Considering computers took up an entire room . . . how far we have come!)

HP Mkt 2011 1 

In 1981, one of my favorite artists, Pat Benatar catapulted up the charts.  She was a formidable female in what was a male-dominated music world.  She paved the way for the future Pinks and Gwen Stefani’s.  She’s still rocking us with her music and style.  Come on, Pat, hit us with your best shot!

hbu_cvr-lg

Love the House Beautiful October 2011Issue.  I can close my eyes and picture this room a few decades earlier.  (By the way, this issue is a must read!  Join Editor-In-Chief, Newell Turner, for a great video review of this issue.  The stories go beyond the surface of design.  Real life accounts, with open recaps of downsizing, getting past home tragedies, and well, real world design.  Click for - VIDEO)

Did you know Hancock & Moore was started in 1981 by master craftsman, Jimmy Moore?  They’re well-known for bringing some of the finest leather and fabric upholstery goods to market.  Happy Anniversary to a fine company!

oD2AGbn7RyYbbvt

The Police – 1981.  Who could forget their hit, “De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da”? 

Sting2011rev

Thank goodness age improves many things.  Just add in some wisdom and a little yoga.

HP Mkt 2011 2

If it’s true that history repeats itself, I’ll be in style, again!  :)

All My Best

Need a little trend wisdom from an experienced designer?  I’m a phone call or email away!

1 comment:

Nick @ Cupboards said...

I'll tell you, early 80's design was ferosh. It's the late 80's/early 90's that scare me!

I turned 1 in 1981... seems like yesterday. ;-)