Friday, November 25, 2011

Shopping Around Town & Country

By now, most of us have had our fill of turkey and treats.  If we’ve been lucky enough to have a long weekend, there are activities galore from enjoying extended family visits to hitting the pavement as we get some holiday shopping and decorating under way.  I’m taking today “off” to move out some accumulated “stuff” so that the remainder of the year will offer me a bit more calm and order.  Later on; however, I’ll be joining in to help stimulate the economy.  (smile) 

ChristmasPresents

I’ll have to share that I’m not a huge fan of all of the Black Friday hoopla.  It’s not that I don’t wish the larger business concerns well . . . they employee a lot of folks.  I just know there are also a lot of small businesses who need the extra boost of our dollars, and being a small business owner, myself, I’m more than happy to bring my list to them. 

276805_167641889920409_1965539937_n

(Even though this is a campaign created by a major brand, I support the concept of it, wholeheartedly – and not just on one day, too!  You can click on the logo for more details.)

I’ll be sharing some of my favorite spots, as well as some I’d like to stop by.  Be sure to check back for updated photos and finds.  Of course, I can’t share all of my shopping secrets.  Someone may be peeking in and I don’t want to spoil their surprise!

Town

IMG_8707

300289_205726906151800_204333346291156_531386_6560144_n

(A great place for interior finds in Charlotte, Alexander Scott is one of the new multi-merchant additions to the city.  They just recently had their grand opening!)

& Country

a christmas collage 1

IMG_7337

(I’ve featured my friend, Beth Swanson’s shop, Oldetyme Marketplace, several times before.  If you haven’t made the trip, you should put this on your destination when in the Charlotte area.  It’s more than a shop, it’s an experience you don’t want to miss!)

Town

LaDonna

009

(A true arbiter of style, LaDonna Harris has offered the Charlotte area fabulous finds.  Even Charlotte Moss made a special visit, when in town!  While the shop is très chic, LaDonna makes every visitor feel like an old friend.)

& Country

pi1

ham

mini_70

(While tooling around at Beth’s shop, I might have to stop in Stegall’s to see if it’s really true they’re out of country ham!  Their website says it’s so!  Surely they have some tucked away for the local folks.  It would be such a treat to have country ham biscuits on Christmas morning.)

Town

bechtler_mlog2

4a74b035-0707-4028-a5d1-075aa3d1376b

(Good things do come in small packages.  A museum pass will be an unforgettable gift to the recipient, especially at the Bechtler Museum in Charlotte!  This is Cascade, created by Jean Tinguely (1925-1991), a Swiss painter and sculptor. Tinguely's art satirized the mindless overproduction of material goods in advanced industrial society.  Mmmm . . . I don’t think this installation would fit in my foyer.)

& Country

genesis_kingsgreenhouse_logo

182677328604807616_Z3T5ZfYQ_c

(One of my stops will be at King’s Greenhouse, just outside of the Charlotte city limits.  They have gorgeous amaryllis, flowering Christmas cactus, paperwhites, greenery, and some of the most beautiful poinsettias!  They grow many of their own plants, too.  I love a fresh holiday centerpiece, don’t you?)

One of the joys I find in shopping small, local businesses is that I don’t always need a specific something on my list.  There are so many unique and often hand-crafted items and I love waiting to see if something “speaks to me” for the perfect present for that special someone.  I kind of like knowing that my gift will not likely be found on the web pages of an end-of-the-season-clearance-sale.

Stop back by.  I hope to post updates, soon!

All My Best

No comments: