Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tiny Trimmings

“Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.” ~  Larry Wilde

With just a few days left to finish the holiday trimmings, take a deep breath, take off the pressure, and focus on just a few special areas in your home that you can enjoy even through the New Year.  I’m a big fan of being able to leave a few pieces behind, even if I’m ready to take down the Christmas tree to reclaim some space.  It makes the winter blahs just a little less ‘blah’!

IMG_5604

This morning, I scooped up a birch bark container and popped in my blooming Amaryllis bulb, which had been potted a few weeks earlier.  Many of the florists and garden spots still have some of these beauties, if you’ve not had time to get one going.  Notice that I’ve got a second bud coming up?  Yes!  More cheer after Christmas has come and gone!

IMG_5616

IMG_5601 

Notice the extra texture at the base?  All from my yard and garden!  That’s right . . . I found a few cones from our white pines, snipped some evergreen pieces – like Leyland Cypress, clipped Nandina berries and leaves, and put a small branch in the center to support the growing stalk.  I had previously purchased some sheet moss and I soaked it in water to brighten up the color as well as to provide a moist blanket to keep things fresh, longer.  The assembly took me all of about twenty minutes, from clipping to arranging.

IMG_5624

I snuggled in a few of my favorite Christmas books, topped with a bow and berries.

IMG_5626

My “Papa” Santa.  I love his vintage charm. 

IMG_5630

If you don’t have a garden or holiday sprigs, I’ll bet a neighbor would be happy to share!

IMG_5622

I can’t tell you how many years I’ve had these candles.  They are carefully packed away, each year, in the anticipation of their next Christmas season.  Hope springs eternal.  :)

IMG_5631

Still making merry at the Horton home!

All My Best

Santa

No comments: