Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Designing Across The Pond – Sort Of

Just before Christmas, one of my previous clients had a not so happy event.  A leaking water filter created a flood and it caused quite a bit of damage.  In fact, they had to move out of the house to have the necessary repairs done.  I was so pleased they contacted me to come back to the project, not only to help during the process of the repair work, but to also consider reconfiguring some areas to better suit their current lifestyle needs and aesthetics. 

73465037641044863_LjiB3Npe_c

(I think this is what would would be called a “pretty puddle”. My clients didn’t think as much of theirs.  Image from Pinterest )

This was one of my favorite new construction projects as the home was built with a heavy influence of English Cotswold design and the setting was so fitting for it . . . at the quiet end of a road and with a hilly overlook. There are two antique leaded glass windows that were installed between the living space and the dining room, on either side of the opening.  The homeowners brought them back from a trip and they had been in storage for years!  They fit perfectly in their current spot.

Cotswold Cottage 1

(Taking a trip to merry old England?  Be sure to take your camera along.  Lots to see and document!  Image via the web.)

Back in the day, my camera was not the best so original pictures are not to be found.  I think I even used a Polaroid!  Gads!  I’ll be sure to remedy that, as I’ll be revisiting this project, tomorrow, and my trusty Canon G12 will be coming with.  I’ll share the winter view and then I’ll capture it with the spring flowers, too.  Yes, it will be an ongoing project.  :)

213495458_f0e01eb1bf

(There’s nothing prettier than an English garden.  My client wants to get back into her home before the spring as she loves seeing her beds in bloom.  As a fellow gardener, I can share in that sentiment. Image via the web.)

The original construction took place about ten years ago.  We did a few interior things but most folks have found, after all is said and done, a lot of the funds become allocated towards the permanent items and landscaping.  The design budget was spread a little thin around several areas.  The house certainly looked nice but I knew we could have done so much more.  We also repurposed some family pieces to fill in the gaps. 

il_fullxfull_257796489

(Not exactly their design but just an idea for the scale of the pair of encased leaded glass windows.  Image from Etsy )

bbb28004

(Thinking of the Manhattan sofa style by Thomas Pheasant for Baker.  My clients like to mix it up a bit.)

Even though we’ve previously worked together on this project, it feels like it will be a brand new beginning.  A lot has changed in ten years!  My processes are always being honed, both by technology and by some tweaks to my operating procedures.  Not to mention the level of experience gained by being challenged creatively.  My clients also have a different outlook on how they want this home to live and feel.  Yes, we’ll have some familiar touchstones placed throughout, but we’ll also bring in some fresh ideas. 

Fresh as an English garden, that is!

All My Best

No comments: