Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pennies & Pearls

Thirty years ago, it rained on my wedding day.  I remember fretting about making the outdoor passage from the church’s side hall to the narthex, without staining my satin gown.  I was getting married in the Episcopal church where I was christened and where my father attended services from boyhood to his adult years.  I was confirmed in the Lutheran church, as that was my mother’s denomination, and we’ve always had a good chuckle about me being the child who kept the spiritual peace between the two.

14K White Gold Diamond Umbrella Pin

Meanwhile, back to the rain.  My father assured me not to consider it to be a bad omen and that I should think of the rain as being ‘pennies from heaven’. 

1253550313-86448200

(Coin Purse – Designer Desirables)

I remember how he loved the song.  Now, I have an even better appreciation for the words . . . “Every time it rains, it rains . . . pennies from heaven” - “If you want the things you love, you've got to have showers.”  That song puts a smile on your face, even when you’re not sure you can muster one.

Supposedly, if one has been married for thirty years, the gift or commemoration should be pearls.  I think it symbolizes the wisdom a couple would have gained from being together for so many years.  I also like to think our relationship has become more “polished” . . . just as in the rough grain of sand being smoothed over with the pearly coating by the oyster.

il_570xN.293987868

My husband has asked what might be a special gift to me, on this momentous occasion.  After all of these years together, I think he’s been a mighty fine “umbrella”.  

But . . .  a few more *pearls* of wisdom would be welcome, too!  :)

 

No comments: