Thursday, May 17, 2012

Love . . . Tell Me How You REALLY Feel

Recently, I received a phone call from a potential client who had been referred to me.  She shared that a particular contractor said I was the person who could solve her interior problems.  Of course we chatted and in the process, we discovered she was at a crossroads. Either keep the house and fix it or put it on the market.  When I got to the bottom of things, the word ‘depressed’ rose to the top. 

121245414937629861_yoQBZheY_f

(There’s an irony to this photo.  Notice the ‘shift’ key below ‘love’?  Sometimes you need to press both.)

Yes, her home made her feel that way and it made me sad for her to know that’s what she walks into, every day.  I’m sure there will be more to this story, later, as I’m in the process of some upcoming remodels so the summer docket has been pretty well claimed.  She feels my process is worth the wait. 

. . . . I hope.

Not to sound as if I don’t have the capabilities of being the “design whisperer” – as my husband so fondly calls me – but when it comes to loving your home, there is no amount of “pretty” that can solve underlying issues.

52776626852725149_nc7tDHF5_f

(Aren’t these beautiful? What’s not to love?)

185492078372153369_GsmgTAXS_f

(Love these fairly lights for a pathway.)

121667627403553237_IIQkTLDS_f

(I’m in love with this Greek Key border. Love the bold design against the panel.)

You see, love is a tricky thing in a home.  There are many elements which determine our reaction to our surroundings.  Sometimes it’s as simple as rearranging the space to allow for better organization, movement, or if you’re a feng shui enthusiast, opening a wall for better ‘chi’ or flow.  It could be a new color palette or refreshing a tired design.  Those are pretty easy.

But . . . If the emotions go deeper and are buried in issues such as life experiences, no amount of surface work will do the trick. 

100064422940123354_hQUeImLj_f

(One person’s ‘love’ can be another person’s dislike.)

Years ago, one of my dear clients had a major illness which certainly incapacitated her ability to do much in her previous home, but once well, she never changed a thing.  What changed her outlook was literally leaving the past behind, as she built a new home. 

I can tell you, she is really LIVING in this home and you can feel, not only from the design work I’ve done, but from her inner glow, she’s so happy there and L-O-V-E-S it because she continually wants to feather this nest with the things she enjoys and shares this happy experience with family, friends, and visitors.  Parties and entertaining are a regular happening.

31595634855885350_vvJrIHUj_f

I’m not saying everyone can walk away from a home or knock it down and start over.  Sometimes that’s just not practical.  But I am saying it’s possible to put on a different set of glasses to correct your vision – a change of outlook, so to speak.

Every now and then, it’s a good idea to hit the ‘shift’ key.

2 comments:

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

What an incredible post! I love that pic of the love key with the shift underneath, very powerful!!!

westernreservebutlerspantry said...

I couldn't agree more. I know of cases where people have thrown up the for sale sign and run for the hills. The problem was it wasn't the house that was causing their pain. It's like the saying wherever we go, there we are. I'm a firm believer of turning over a new leaf, but I think we have to be honest with ourselves so we're embracing it and not just running away.