Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Interiors Chef–What’s Cooking in the Kitchen?

The blog has been missing a little TLC as we’ve had a lot of interiors pots on the burner to prevent from boiling over. 

Cooking rules:  #1 A watched pot never boils.  #2 An unattended pot boils over and catches fire in 1.7 seconds.

Well, one actually did boil over in the Horton kitchen, this past week, but that’s all under control.  We’ll just say that I never saw the evidence as the dear husband probably buried it at the creek bed.  He was attempting to cook a pot of treasured, fresh purple hull peas and mow the lawn at the same time.  I’m sure you get the picture.  :)

(In case you don’t know about purple hull peas, our household considers them a southern delicacy.  They used to be prolific but now we have to find a local farmer who happens to appreciate the elevation of what was once referred to as “cow peas”.  I’ll share one way of preparing them, via Foodie House, later in the blog.)

That multi-tasking thing doesn’t always work, you know?  Definitely a bit of smoke abatement ensued.  Some sort of powerful machine worked it’s magic.  I was busy with a client who had come into Charlotte to work with me on a kitchen remodel in her new home, so I put my faith into capable hands and moved onward and upward, as my friend Jane Ann would say.

Of course, this makes the perfect segue as we get back to the real topic at hand:  Kitchen design.

There’s a lovely neighborhood, in Charlotte, NC, which hearkens back to the days of front porch living, a cozy closeness and yet each home has it’s own distinct personality.  My client purchased here in order to share some special time with family and to simplify life.

image

Since Ardrey has been around for a few years, it was determined her kitchen might benefit from a remodel in order to meet functional needs as well as to follow her desires for a different aesthetic.  I’ve done several projects, in this neighborhood, and I’ve found that most of them have an open living concept between the kitchen, dining and living spaces.  Starting with the kitchen design makes it easier to plan for the rest to come.

IMG_1750

We pretty much are starting with a blank slate.  It needs to have a dash of spice in the architectural department.  You can see there are some pretty wonderful moldings in the front entry area, to the left.

The kitchen, below, showcases a great concept for the door casing, as well as the option for bringing the cabinets to the ceiling.

image

Here’s a sneak peek at the layout we’re considering:

image

You may have noticed, the current kitchen and surrounding areas have hardwood floors.  We’re really working to keep the footprint the same as it would be a lot more expense to have to refinish all of the flooring and we have limited space to move much, anyway.  The foundation for some “recipes” can always be honored and tweaked at the same time!

Ardrey Project

Lots of vendors are providing select ingredients for this collaboration.  When Teresa, at Tile Collection, said this would be worthy of being featured on their wall, I knew we had a winning combination!

So, now back to the pot that ‘boileth’ over.  Remember how I mentioned putting my faith in capable hands to take care of the snafu?  Somehow with the right people on board, things always work out.  It also reminded me of the honor I feel when my clients, especially new ones, not only put their trust in the process but also in my ability to be their design advocate. 

And how are things working out with my new client?  Let’s just say, I feel like we’re two peas in a pod!

image

Recipe from Foodie House:

Purple Hull Peas with Bacon and Onion

  • 2 slices bacon, diced
  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • (sorta guessing here) 1-1 1/2 cups shelled  purple hull peas
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Salt and pepper

Brown bacon until nearly crispy, add onion and cook until nice and brown. Add peas and water. Cover and let steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove cover and let moisture cook off and peas get a little browned. Season to taste.

All my best

To subscribe to my blog updates via email click here.

To follow Wanda S. Horton Interior Design on Facebook click here.

To follow me on Pinterest click here.

No comments: