Sunday, January 18, 2015

Finding Beauty Within and Without

In this world of selfies, outer appearances and the focus on eternal youth, I’ve been one to focus in more of an inward way . . . Making sure I’m a better person.  More accomplished in a deeper and meaningful manner.  I have a tendency to approach my interiors with the same method.  I’m a problem solver and a function creator.  The icing on the cake comes a little later, even though it’s most definitely applied!

I’ve sometimes cringed when a potential client calls and says, “But I JUST want my space/room/home to look PRETTY!”  After years of education and experience, I know interior design is so much more than that.  I want my clients to experience more than what appears on the surface.  I hope their can home life will reflect their collected stories and will meet their everyday needs.  I know . . .  Sexy, right?

image

Pardon me while I digress a bit but you’ll soon see my epiphany.

On Friday, I decided to take some time to get a much needed headshot update.  My previous one reflected a little more of where I had been and not where I felt I currently am or where I’m heading.  I also realized I wanted some professional assistance in putting my best foot forward – my hair, my makeup and capturing it all in the best light.  I mean, we all do tend to zhush things up a bit when we’re expecting visitors, right?  Nothing wrong with fluffing the pillows.

Something magical happened for me.  This person, who typically hides behind the camera to have their work captured,  felt very much ready for her own close-up.

Wanda S. Horton Photographed by Deborah Triplett 3

Wanda S. Horton - Photographed by Deborah Triplett 1

In the last day, while I’ve updated my profile pictures, I’ve received some of the loveliest compliments!  Of course, it wasn’t the goal.  I had hoped to quietly slip them into the appropriate slots.  The result, though, is my outer glow became an inner one.

AND – Some important reminders occurred to me:

2015-01-18 15.08.04

image

And especially this:  (Thanks to Robin Siegerman for sharing this one!)

image

I’ll still be the same designer who looks for solutions and function.  But I’ll understand that a call regarding “pretty” can actually be a reach for beneath the surface, too.  A home to reflect where the caller wants to be, in their stage of life.

Thank you to my dear friends who’ve made me blush, in the best of ways, with your kindest of comments.

A special thanks to Deborah Triplett for recognizing and capturing the internal me in such a beautiful way – and - to Kim Mclean for her artistry with her magic brushes and lashes!

All my best! ~ Wanda

1 comment:

Deborah Triplett said...

First of all it was easy for me to capture your inner beauty - it spills out in abundance.

And FYI - I changed out the lamps in my bedroom per your suggestion. Much better!

I truly enjoyed this post. Along with those interior design talents you clearly have some writing skills.