Sunday, August 30, 2015

What is an "artistic advocate"?

In the middle of pulling together some copious project notes, I sat back and this thought came blazing to mind:


A project for a dear, long-term client is underway. It’s a bittersweet one as she is relocating to be closer to family and it’s also a rite of passage as this move means she’ll be leaving behind the last home she shared with her now deceased husband. My heartstrings are tugging as she has also become a lovely friend and I’ll miss being close, geographically.

Today, I called her to go over several questions, and I could sense the concern in her voice as to how all of this will come together . . . the move, a new place needing some tweaking and personalization, leaving behind a home where we’ve spent the last few years making it a softer landing after her husband’s passing and hoping she’s made the right decision in making a change which requires this kind of attention.

I hope I gave her reassuring advice and when I said, “All will be well”, she really felt it. Not empty words of promise but the understanding I would know how to communicate with the contractor, the electrician, the plumber, the painter, the tile folks, the stone yard and all of the various other players who are part of a new team of which I’ve become an honorary member. Yes, this is my profession and I should be taking care of handling the services for which I’ve been hired to implement. But - this goes deeper for me and it’s important for me to take a moment to recognize and acknowledge it.

I am an artist. I am an advocate. When both roles merge, it reaches a depth beyond “interior designer”.

 All my best – Wanda

No comments: